Problems with Palm and 6.0-RELEASE...

Harrison Peter CSA BIRKENHEAD peter.harrison at dwp.gsi.gov.uk
Tue Nov 22 09:08:27 GMT 2005

Rebuilt my system last night from 5.4-RELEASE p8 to 6.0-RELEASE. Went very smoothly, but I now have a problem with sync'ing my Palm Tungsten E.

The problem is that the ucom0 device entry doesn't appear when I press the hotsync button.

I'm still loading the appropriate modules, this is the output of kldstat:

Id Refs Address    Size     Name
 1   12 0xc0400000 62f5c0   kernel
 2    1 0xc0a30000 57c8     snd_ich.ko
 3    2 0xc0a36000 1d408    sound.ko
 4    2 0xc0a54000 32a8     ucom.ko
 5    1 0xc0a58000 2cac     uvisor.ko
 6    1 0xc1a1d000 1b000    radeon.ko
 7    1 0xc1a38000 d000     drm.ko

It seems to get seen properly, here's an extract from /var/log/messages:

Nov 21 21:26:50 desktop kernel: ucom0: Palm, Inc. Palm Handheld, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 2
Nov 21 21:26:50 desktop kernel: ucom0: Palm, Inc. Palm Handheld, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 2
Nov 21 21:27:07 desktop kernel: ucom0: at uhub0 port 3 (addr 2) disconnected
Nov 21 21:27:07 desktop kernel: All threads purged from cuaU0
Nov 21 21:27:07 desktop kernel: All threads purged from ttyU0
Nov 21 21:27:07 desktop kernel: ucom0: detached

And it shows up correctly with usbdevs:

Controller /dev/usb0:
addr 1: full speed, self powered, config 1, OHCI root hub(0x0000), SiS(0x0000), rev 1.00
 port 1 powered
 port 2 powered
 port 3 addr 2: full speed, power 2 mA, config 1, Palm Handheld(0x0060), Palm, Inc.(0x0830), rev 1.00
Controller /dev/usb1:
addr 1: full speed, self powered, config 1, OHCI root hub(0x0000), SiS(0x0000), rev 1.00
 port 1 powered
 port 2 addr 2: full speed, power 500 mA, config 1, ???(0x021e), vendor 0x055f(0x055f), rev 1.00
 port 3 powered
Controller /dev/usb2:
addr 1: high speed, self powered, config 1, EHCI root hub(0x0000), SiS(0x0000), rev 1.00
 port 1 addr 2: high speed, power 196 mA, config 1, Generic STORAGE DEVICE USB Device(0x0012), Genesys(0x3538), rev 1.19
 port 2 powered
 port 3 powered
 port 4 powered
 port 5 powered
 port 6 powered

But no entry in /dev.

The release note mentions that ucom was rewritten for 6.0. Does anyone know what the problem might be - this worked fine on 5.4?

My kernel is GENERIC minus the uscanner entry, otherwise no changes.

Google and a search of questions@ and mobile@ didn't turn up anything similar.

Any help or advice appreciated.

TIA

Peter Harrison

This document is strictly confidential and is intended only for use by the addressee.
If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or other
action taken in reliance of the information contained in this e-mail is strictly prohibited.
Any views expressed by the sender of this message are not necessarily those of the Department
for Work and Pensions.
If you have received this transmission in error, please use the reply function to tell us
and then permanently delete what you have received.
Please note: Incoming and outgoing e-mail messages are routinely monitored for compliance
with our policy on the use of electronic communications.