Mach kernel and Unix over 68k : well before OS X (Was: Status of6.0 for production systems)

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Tue Nov 22 00:42:13 GMT 2005

The problem is though, that it didn't have Apple's marketing
muscle behind it.

The thing that made Apple's decision to switch to MacOS X so great
was that they abandonded the old macOS Classic.  There is no upgrade
path so customers of the Mac either have to learn MacOS X or give
up the Mac entirely.  Most of them did give up the old OS.

If Apple had done the dual OS route like they did with AU/X
then nobody would have switched from whatever the OS 9 descendent
would have been to MacOS X, and MacOS X would now be a footnote in
the history of UNIX.  People are, after all, somewhat lazy.

For a brief period of time Apple had a flash of lucidity and realized
they are a software company, that is what birthed MacOS X.  Unfortunately
that brief flash seems to have faded and they are right back to
believing that the software is just a thing used to sell hardware.
That puts them in direct competition with the low-ballers like Dell.
Maybe one day Apple will understand that there is nobody out there
in the low-baller market competing with MacOS X.

Ted