apache2 php5 mysql4 problems

Robert Munn munn at isca.dyndns.org
Tue Nov 22 00:26:37 GMT 2005

I have been successfuly running apache2 as a web server with php5 as a
module.  Recently I needed access to a database so I tried  to upgrade
my system by adding mysql4 as the database server.

I had installed apache2  and php5 from the ports. Previously I would
install php5-extensions to build the mysql module for php.

After failing get the resulting php to recognize the mysql_ database
calls in php I noticed that the php5-extensions no longer build the
mysql extensions.

I have tried various things.  The most successful was to configure php
with the --with-mysql option. However this did not completelty solve
my problem. While database access was enabled from a php script, when
I use  the same codee in a web page to access the same database, my
browser pops up a window asking if I want to save the file to disk or
search for a program to deal with the file (suggestion Dreamweaver
since it a .php file).

Does anybody have the sequence of build commands for making a apache2
- php5 - mysql, a working web server environment?

I am running 5.4

With thanks