Solaris patches and Solaris Express

Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC chad at shire.net
Mon Nov 21 23:56:04 GMT 2005

On Nov 21, 2005, at 4:51 PM, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

>>> I never understood why anyone would go to Solaris 10 unless they
>>> had a
>>> 64 bit processor and compiled all their apps under a 64 bit
>>> compiler.
>>> Sun
>>> didn't either, which is why they originally didn't come out with a
>>> Solaris x86
>>> version of Solaris 10  They only came out with it after much
>>> screaming.
>>
>> I run it (Solaris 10) on a dual Athlon 2800+ MP box.  As a server.
>> No X-Windows.  To run java.  And it runs java better than the same
>> box did with Linux and the sun jvm.
>
> Is the Java version your running restricted to Solaris 10 and above?

I don't know.

> Is Solaris 10 faster/stabler with Java than older Solaris versions?

I just got involved with Solaris after 10 was made "Free" (see the
yahoo Solarisx86 list for that discussion -- the same list where this
thread originally started I think before it forked) so I have no
baseline to compare against.  I had been running a gentoo Linux 2.4.x
kernel for java processing (before the FreeBSD 1.4 jvm got as good as
it is now) and when the machine had problems, I put Solaris 10 on it
as a test since it has some good resource management stuff for RAM
and CPU etc that I wanted to use with my various java backend
customers and my simple tests showed the same java apps with better
performance than the same HW had with linux...  ymmv

Best regards
Chad

> Ted

---