starting services?

Michael P. Soulier msoulier at digitaltorque.ca
Mon Nov 21 16:32:33 GMT 2005

On 11/17/05, Gerry Freymann <lists at interpool.ca> wrote:
>  If you manually want to do this, you *must* use the full path to the
> script:
>
> /usr/local/etc/rc.d/samba.sh start | stop

In the rc(8) manpage, it states that .sh scripts are sourced directly.

     4.   Call each script in turn using run_rc_script() (from rc.subr(8)),
          which sets $1 to ``start'', and sources the script in a subshell.
          If the script has a .sh suffix then it is sourced directly into the
          current shell.

Why is that? I've found that running apache.sh directly with
start|stop doesn't work. I need to run apachectl.

Mike