Updating from RELENG_5_1_2_RELEASE to ... ??

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Mon Nov 21 14:45:08 GMT 2005

Greg Bernard <gregory.bernard at todoo.biz> writes:

> I am going to update one of my customer's server from
> RELENG_5_2_1_RELEASE to RELENG_5_3 or RELENG_5_4 or RELENG_5
>
> Which version would you advise me ??
>

> This is a mail server in production (postfix - amavisd -
> spamassassin) so It obviously needs stability.
> There is no GUI (X11 or so).
>

> Which version of the system should I stick to ??
>
> What are the risks ?
>
> Which long term policy would you advise me to get this server up and
> running as long as possible ?

Well, what led you to install 5.2.1 in the first place?
It wasn't recommended for production use in the first place.
Certainly 6.0 is much more recommendable than it ever was, and will
make it easier to go on into the future.

If you want to go with a legacy release, then 5.4 plus patches (i.e.,
RELENG_5_4) is the obvious path to follow.