Override prompt when deleting a file

Joost Bekkers joost at jodocus.org
Fri Nov 18 19:53:50 GMT 2005

On Fri, Nov 18, 2005 at 02:12:35PM -0500, Robert Ftizpatrick wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-11-18 at 10:34 -0800, Micah wrote:
> > > I'm sure I can make it happen. My problem is the rsync backup everynight
> > > fails to delete this and other files like it saying 'Permission denied'.
> > > So, I am assuming it is because of this issue. The rsync script logs in
> > > as admin. How can I resolve this?
> > >
> > > --
> > > Robert
> >
> > If you clear the immutable bit (as root), rsync (as admin) should be
> > able to remove the file as normal.  You'll just have to figure out why
> > the files are immutable in the first place.  You may just be able to
> > clear the immutable bit on all the files and make the problem go away or
> > you may need a more complex solution.
>
> Yeah, I don't know, the rsync script has been running for over a year
> and all of sudden it can't delete files. But I don't think the files are
> immutable. Did my previous post with the listing show this? But I tried
> and still....
>
> -bash-2.05b$ ls -lo massage.xls
> -rw-r--r--  1 admin  admin  - 4463104 Aug 29 17:25 massage.xls
> -bash-2.05b$ su
> Password:
> esmtp# chflags -R noschg ./
> esmtp# exit
> -bash-2.05b$ rm massage.xls
> override rw-r--r--  admin/admin for massage.xls?

This might sound a bit far fetched, but I can't shake the feeling it might be right.
Could it be possible you have 2 admin's in your passwd? vipw doesn't complain when you
try something like that, so....

Would you mind doing a 'ls -ln' (uid/gid numeric) and the an 'echo $UID' as admin.

--
greetz Joost
joost at jodocus.org