I could not become superuser

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu
Fri Nov 18 15:06:16 GMT 2005

> Hello
>
> I installed FreeBSD6.0. and it was running well by today .
> My FreeBSD server gave a problem about user login.
> I could not become superuser.
> my user that has superuser. When I login the server this user
> the screen gives things as below
> user>su
> not running setuid
>
> what shell I do ?

I think you are saying that you tried to 'su' from a non root user login.
Is that true?
If so, the thing to check is if that user is in the 'wheel' group.
Look in the file  /etc/group  and make sure that user is added
to the wheel group.

If you have no root access at all, you will need to learn how to
boot to single user and create a root account for yourself or put
a password on the root account.

That (single user booting) is all well layed out in documentation and
in the list archives and in FAQs.

////jerry