Windows Compatibility?

Ashley Moran ashley.moran at codeweavers.net
Fri Nov 18 14:03:47 GMT 2005

On Thursday 17 November 2005 20:45, Eric Schuele wrote:
> True enough.  *Most* things have equivalents in the *BSD world.
>
> However, if you have some special needs there are windows and/or PC
> emulators.  WINE and qemu are the two I hear about most.  I have used
> qemu very successfully to run the one MS app I can not get rid of
> CheckPoint SecuRemote for VPN connectivity to my office.

I've recently switched my work desktop to FreeBSD 6.  Virtually everything I
could to before I can now do as well as or better.  I found an old Pentium 3
machine to run Windows, and when I need it I can VNC in.  (If you use WinXP I
think you can use rdektop which is more than fast enough for occasional use).

You could also consider vmware, which is like qemu but faster, and only $189
(cheaper than a second PC if you don't have one spare)

Having said all this, I haven't booted my Windows machine today.

Ashley