pausing boot process

David Kirchner dpk at dpk.net
Thu Nov 17 21:15:22 GMT 2005

On 11/17/05, Eric F Crist <ecrist at secure-computing.net> wrote:
> On Nov 17, 2005, at 10:27 AM, James Bailie wrote:
>
> > J. W. Ballantine wrote:
> >
> > > Is there someway to pause the scrolling/process so the error is
> > > read-able??
> >
> > No.  After the system boots, log in as, or su to, root, and
> > invoke "dmesg" to view kernel messages.
> >

> You're incorrect.  You can pause this screen, and even scroll up/
> down, by pressing the Scroll Lock key.  When you're done, press
> Scroll Lock again to continue.

Scroll lock only starts working after the kernel is done loading. You
can't interrupt the kernel load with scroll lock (at least, you
couldn't with 5.4-STABLE and before, I can't state for certain that
you can't with 6.0)

It may be possible to extract that information from the core dump it
makes. Not sure where it would be stored, but "strings" may help you
find it (could take a while to sift through the dump tho).