OpenOffice 2 unable to work with files over NFS

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Thu Nov 17 21:06:17 GMT 2005

uname -a
FreeBSD bolivia.potentialtech.com 5.4-RELEASE-p1 FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE-p1 #1: Fri May 27 01:08:00 EDT 2005     wmoran at bolivia.potentialtech.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/WORKING  i386

open pkg_info | grep office
openoffice.org-2.0.0_1 Integrated wordprocessor/dbase/spreadsheet/drawing/chart/

OO works fine, unless I try to connect to a document over NFS.  Then all goes
badly.  I consistenly get a "general input/output error while accessing
<filename>"  This occurs when trying to open previously created .sxc
and .odt docs, as well as when trying to create new documents.  I'm having
the exact same problem on a laptop, which is nearly the same FreeBSD setup.

OO 1.x has worked fine on this setup for quite a while.  I recently upgrade
to OO 2 and *boom* can't work off the server.

If I copy any of these files from the server to my local HDD, all is well.
I chmoded the files to 777, but it doesn't make any difference.  I have
never had any other problems with this NFS server prior to this (and
I don't at this time, either).  The file server is still FreeBSD 4.

I'm going to try to do some NFS debugging, but I'm not an NFS expert by
any stretch of the imagination, so I thought I'd a) first see if anyone
else was familiar with this issue b) see if anyone had any advice on
how to proceed with debugging.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies