strange msg lines..

Niel Dogger niel at introweb.nl
Thu Nov 17 15:20:22 GMT 2005

On 17-nov-2005, at 15:51, dick hoogendijk wrote:

> On 17 Nov Dinesh Nair wrote:
>> apparently, the nameservers responsible for those domains are
>> returning
>> your IP address to a DNS query. all the sites seem to share the
>> same DNS
>> provider, so you could try getting in touch with them.
>
> No way.
>
> foto-porno-amatoriale.com ; puttane-grandi-tette.com ;
> video-porno-anale.com ALL resolve to different IP's when checked with
> "host foto....com" etc..
>
> I don't understand why all of a sudden all kind of computers try to
> contact these porno sites and do this on my IP.
> The dns'es seem to be OK, so this shouldn't happen then..?

It looks like referer spam.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Referer_spam

"Referer spam is a kind of search engine-targeted spam. The technique
involves making repeated web site requests using a fake referer url
pointing to a spam-advertised site. Sites that publicize their
referer statistics will then also link to the spammer's site. This
benefits the spammer because of the free link, and also gives the
spammer's site improved search engine link placement due to link-
counting algorithms that search engines use"

What you are seeing in your logs:

83.30.48.99 - - [16/Nov/2005:23:44:18 +0100] "GET / HTTP/1.1" 200
1860 "http://puttane-grandi-tette.com" "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE
6.0b; Windows NT 5.0; .NET CLR 1.0.2914)"

Is a request for "/" on your server with "http://puttane-grandi-
tette.com" being (claimed as) the referer.