BSD 5.4 fs problem...

Dinesh Nair dinesh at alphaque.com
Thu Nov 17 05:28:42 GMT 2005

On 11/17/05 10:36 xinyu zeng said the following:
> Hi,
>
>    I have FreeBSD 5.4 installed. I found each time I use ports to
> install software it always hangs there (i have only SSH to connect it)
> and there is even no ICMP reply (with ping).

are you sure that nothing is happenning ? some ports take a long time to
build on slower machines and can give the impression that it's hanging.
you've also not mentioned how you're building the ports in question. this
should be the problem you need to fix, not the unclean filesystems below as
they're a direct result of an unclean shutdown.

>    I got to restart the system and find messages of not properly umount.
>
> 'Mounting root from ufs:/dev/ad0s1a
> WARNING: / was not properly dismounted
> WARNING: /tmp was not properly dismounted
> WARNING: /usr was not properly dismounted
> WARNING: /var was not properly dismounted

which would be par for the course since you've done an unclean shutdown.

dinesh at alphaque.com                (0 0)    http://www.alphaque.com/