Release engineering confusion

Steve Bertrand iaccounts at ibctech.ca
Thu Nov 17 00:19:04 GMT 2005

> > In production (at an ISP), what is the best to
> follow...RELENGX_X or
> > RELENG_X? I have 4.x, 5.x boxes in production, and this 6.x box is
> > being prepared for the same.
>
> See the Handbook:
>
> 20.2.2.2 Who Needs FreeBSD-STABLE?

Thank you. However, that entire page out of the handbook pretty much
clarifies that a production environment should *not* track either STABLE
or CURRENT.

So I'm assuming I'm best off with RELENG_6_0 etc, etc? Does anyone here
actually run STABLE or CURRENT in a production environment? I've
personally had the most luck with RELENG_4 which is still my main box,
but now my curiosity has got the best of me.

Steve