Status of 6.0 for production systems

Chris chris at childeric.freeserve.co.uk
Thu Nov 17 00:12:06 GMT 2005

Mark Bucciarelli wrote:

 > Wow, did this thread veer off-topic!

It did rather ;) but it's an important topic for us energy users.

 > On Tue, Nov 15, 2005 at 11:50:40PM +0000, Chris wrote:
 >
 >> That is indeed a waste but consider that in that year the PC at 150
 >> watts
 >

 > This is probably a high estimate, especially for an older, single-cpu
box.

 >> has consumed 60 times as much power as the router at 2.5 watts. I make
 >> that 1314kWh for the PC and 21.9kWh for the router 24/7 for a year.
 >> Anyone know how much power it takes to manufacture and deliver a small
 >> router? And maybe other routers last a bit longer.
 >

 > You can probably get an idea from extrapolating these figures [1]:
 >
 > RAM:  11.4 kWh and   32   L water for 32 MB chip
 > CPU:   1.4 kWh and    5.9 L water per square-cm silicon wafer
 > LCD: 553   kWh and 2394   L water for a 15" monitor

Thank you! That's a lot of water too.

 > A dragonball CPU (2 dies each .343cm x .343 cm) requires 0.3 kWh and
1.4L.

 > The impact of producing a CPU seems low to me, especially when compared
 > to the RAM. Needs to do some more research ... :)

Well wild guessing, if a router requires 100kWh to make and an old PC
uses 1000kWh more in a year than the router you can kill 10 routers in
the year and still break even. Obviously there are many more
considerations in calculating total environmental cost but the router is
an awful long way ahead here.

What's more at 10p/kWh the PC has used £100 more in the year. I can buy
a router for less than £25 so purely on a selfish basis I should get one.

I suppose as a responsible eco-citizen I should also use packages
instead of ports to save on the compile time electricity.

 > [1] Environmnetal Implications of New Wireless Technologies:     News
Delivery and Business Meetings
 >     by Michael W. Toffel, Haas School of Biz, UCal Berkely
 >     and Arpad Horvath, Civil Eng, UCal Berkely
 >     accepted for publication 3/18/2004 in American Chemical Society

http://www.haas.berkeley.edu/responsiblebusiness/documents/wireless_asap.pdf

Chris