COMPAT_IA32 & COMPAT_FREEBSD5

Andrew P. infofarmer at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 19:42:20 GMT 2005

On 11/16/05, Ian Lord <lordi at msdi.ca> wrote:
>  So Basically, I would need to recompile Php for ia32 and run it in
> emulation, then since php is running as a dso, recompile apache...
>
>  At that point, I prefer to do a make buildworld :)

You should propably not rely on ia32 compatibility
layer on any kind of production server unless absolutely
necessary, i.e. you need a legacy closed-source
x86 app. If it's critical, consider using FreeBSD/i386,
if not, try creating a x86 jail environment. This is not
so easy the first time you do it, but it comes very
comfortable later.