makings of a junk yard cluster ??

Ansar Mohammed ansarm at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 16:05:44 GMT 2005

Ideally you need to define what you mean by a "cluster"
Depending on who you talk to practical clusters are very different.

The most common industry type cluster is called a "shared nothing" cluster.
It is basically two or more physical servers connected to the same storage
subsystem where data only resides. Traditionally the application executables
reside on the servers themselves, facilitating what is known as a rolling
upgrade.
Since you probably don't have a shared disk or SAN you can do this by using
geom on FreeBSD or iSCSI on linux/Windoze. This type of cluster is typical
for database applications.

The second type of cluster is "load balanced" where multiple machines
"share" a logical IP Address and distribute the load evenly or unevenly
between them. You can use carp for IP sharing and rsync for data synch.
This is typically used for web servers, dns etc.. where data is minimal,
auto replicated(as in DNS) or static. This is practical in your environment
since you can actually put these machines to good use.

The third type of cluster is the distributed cluster using MPI or PVM etc.
This is typically used for distributing load in computational problems.