xterm conflicts with xorg-clients

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Mon Nov 14 18:25:26 GMT 2005

On 2005-11-14 13:07, Mike Hernandez <sequethin at gmail.com> wrote:
>On  Mon, Nov 14, 2005 at 05:59:40PM +0000, Alex Zbyslaw wrote:
>> I don't think so.  Keep track of which ports you deleted the
>> dependencies from, then when you have the whole
>> xorg-clients/xterm mess sorted out, just force a re-install of
>> those packages and the right dependencies will come back.
>> Time consuming, but not rocket science ;-)
>>
>> I had to do something like that when interrupting
>> gnome_upgrade early seems to bugger everything a treat, but I
>> got everything back OK (I think!).
>
> Great ;) I'm still working on my first year with freebsd so
> this a great learning experience. Without getting too far OT,
> is there a quick explanation as to why xterm is a separate
> port? Does it take up so much space that it would "bloat" a
> standard Xorg/Xfree install?

New releases of xterm are made far more often than full X11
releases, so it makes more sense I guess.  Every time a new
version of xterm is out, you don't really need to download &
rebuild monster-tarballs with all the X11 sources.  A simple
portupgrade invocation takes care of updating just xterm:

    # portupgrade -vuN xterm

That's probably why it's a separate port.

- Giorgos

PS: Please, ignore the automatically forced 'footer' below.  It's
automatically added by the Exchange server I'm behind of and has
no relation whatsoever to non-work email I post.

please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail, do not forward
this email to any other person, delete this
e-mail and destroy all copies. Any dissemination or use of this
unauthorized and may be illegal.