FreeBSD 6 on Centrino laptop : how to prolong battery life with cpufreq (like est and estctrl did)

Miles Keaton mileskeaton at gmail.com
Sat Nov 12 08:44:04 GMT 2005

I'm happily using FreeBSD 6 on a Centrino laptop, but wondering if
anyone can explain ("for dummies") how to use the new cpufreq +
SpeedStep to throttle-down my CPU usage and extend battery life - the
way that sysutils/est and sysutils/estctrl used to do in FreeBSD 5?

(I was using est+estctrl in FreeBSD 5 wonderfully, but now they're
disabled, telling me to use cpufreq instead - though I can't tell how,
and didn't understand the man page.)

Thanks!