Better laptop support in 6.0?

Paul Waring paul at xk7.net
Fri Nov 11 11:30:01 GMT 2005

On Fri, Nov 11, 2005 at 02:51:15AM -0800, Peter Clutton wrote:
> I can't comment on your previous problems, as I've got FreeBSD 5.4
> running on a state of the art Sony vaio laptop, I use it for
> everything. Not sure what could be causing the CDs not to work,
> without error messages, but by that description it may not have been
> OS related.

As far as I remember, the CDs wouldn't even boot into the install
process at one point. They worked fine on another machine, and other
installation CDs for things like NetBSD worked, so I think it probably
was OS related. Perhaps FreeBSD is just missing support for my laptop's
hardware, but I'm surprised that other things worked.

> One of the focuses was on Wireless
> support aswell, if you had any trouble with that.

Wireless support would be useful, but I'm generally plugged into a wired
ethernet network so it's not of huge importance.

Paul

--
Rogue Tory
http://www.roguetory.org.uk