Status of 6.0 for production systems

stan stanb at panix.com
Fri Nov 11 04:02:10 GMT 2005

On Fri, Nov 11, 2005 at 02:35:16PM +1100, Michael Vince wrote:
> Gayn Winters wrote:
>

> I prefer the idea of the FreeBSD team aiming at only the latest
> hardware, all I use is brand new server equipment.
> I don't like the idea that FreeBSD features and performance development
> could be hampered by the core guys trying to make stuff work on old
> hardware, in fact if it was a fact that a lot more performance and
> features could be in 6.x if they dropped support for everything below
> 1ghz for x86 I would be happy, I got a few older machines but they could
> go onto NetBSD since its a very similar OS as it has the same rc script
> system which FreeBSD imported from NetBSD to start with.

I would have to disagree strongly with this. I'v got about 50 PII machines
deployed running FreeBSD 4/5, and I'd really hate to migrate to another
BSD, just because ome one wanted to try to optimize for the latest gee whiz
hardware.

--
U.S. Encouraged by Vietnam Vote - Officials Cite 83% Turnout Despite Vietcong Terror
- New York Times 9/3/1967