Good idea or Bad idea?

Mark Rowlands mark.rowlands at mypost.se
Thu Nov 10 19:02:20 GMT 2005

On Wednesday 09 November 2005 23:09, Mike Hernandez wrote:
> I have no trouble following docs, so I'm not really worried about blowing
> everything up in the process (even though I might haha...) I'm just
> wondering if there are any real (noticeable) performance increases if I
> build my kernel and base system from source. Of course either way my ports
> will be compiled.

There are definitely security benefits from stripping unwanted services from
your system and I rather like to know that my system (and ports) are up to
date with the latest patches which occasionally requires that you rebuild
everything.

I would imagine that there is some very minor perfomance benefit in that my
new kernel and all its bits and pieces is 22mb smaller than the default
shipped in RELENG_6

 18M    ./kernel
 42M    ./kernel.old