Status of 6.0 for production systems

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Thu Nov 10 10:51:09 GMT 2005

There are some things broken in 5.4 that are still broken in 6.0
with regards to support of older hardware.  In particular the ida
driver is a mess - EISA support in that was busted years ago,
then 5.X busted support for more 'modern' systems like the
Compaq 1600R   HP  "DL" series of systems are kind of a moving
target anyway, unfortunately.  For those sytems I still use 4.11
(in fact I just setup 2 new 4.11 production systems two days ago)

However, 6.0 is a requirement for currently shipping hardware, in
particular the Intel series of boxed "server" motherboards, if you
want to use raid and sata drives, since Intel seems to like to change
it's motherboard chipsets as fast as most people change their underpants.
I'm actually building a 6.0 production server today.  (5.4 and earlier
will not recognize the disk array)

It would be nice if we could get more support for SATA raid in
the atacontrol program.

Ted