Status of 6.0 for production systems

Bob Johnson fbsdlists at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 03:59:51 GMT 2005

On 11/9/05, John Fox <jjf at mind.net> wrote:
> I remember back a while when 5.x had been recently released
> as STABLE and the conventional wisdom said not to use it in
> production until the 5.3 release.
>
> Is there any such conventional wisdom as regards 6.x?

5.0 introduced a lot of new features and replaced some major
components, so the warning was that it would take longer than normal
to reach a level of stability suitable for critical systems.

As I understand it, 6.0 is primarily concentrating on improving some
of the major stuff introduced in 5.x, and shouldn't take nearly as
long to become a "stable" platform.  Even so, conventional wisdom
generally warns against using any X.0 release for critical
applications, but that depends on your definition of "critical" and
your level of tolerance for excitement.

IIRC, the release announcement had something to say on the topic, too.

- Bob