CPU affinity in new ULE scheduler

Jon Brisbin jon.brisbin at npcinternational.com
Wed Nov 9 22:15:43 GMT 2005

I can't find any information on how to set the CPU affinity for processes in the
FreeBSD 6 ULE scheduler.

On the linux box, which we're moving from, I have dual Xeon HTT's that I have
JBoss scheduled round-robin with the CPU affinity set to the first two processors,
nice -15. I have Postgres scheduled SCHED_FIFO on the last two processors, nice
-15. This gives me the greatest bandwidth possible in our scenario as it eliminates
the CPU contention I had noticed before doing it this way.

How do I do the same thing in FreeBSD? I have found a lot of information that talks
about setting CPU affinity, but I have yet to find one example of how to do this. On
linux, I'm using a CK-patched kernel and "schedtool" Is there something similar on
FreeBSD?

Thanks!

Jon Brisbin
Webmaster