Installation problem with Freebsd 5.4

Vulpes Velox v.velox at vvelox.net
Wed Nov 9 01:00:21 GMT 2005

On Tue, 25 Oct 2005 22:17:02 +0530
Jayesh Jayan <jayesh.freebsdlist at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> If i install FreeBSD on to a HDD with a good machine where i have
> already installed freebsd before and then move the HDD to that
> machine.
>
> Will it work ??

Provided that it has everything it needs in the kernel or set to load
at boot time, it will work. You will also need to edit /etc/fstab if
you are moving the location of the disk as well.

> This is what happens when I try to install freebsd on the machine
>
> I can go till the step of Choosing distribution
>
> After I choose the distribution it starts the installation
>
> it shows transffering ...... in a blue screen with a progress bar.
>
> it then transfers 32 of 33 chunks
>
> and then it comes up with the error mentioned before.

Well if it errors out during that, I would be sure to try a different
cable and test the drive in another box using smartmontools. I would
also make sure I could successfully run a livecd to make sure it is
not the cd drve.