upgrade package questions

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Tue Nov 8 20:35:06 GMT 2005

On Tue, Nov 08, 2005 at 01:33:33PM -0600, Lonnie Cumberland wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> Could someone please tell me how to upgrade a package over the web?

The -r option of pkg_add allows you to get remote packages. So you could
first forcibly deinstall the old package with 'pkg_delete -f', and than get
the new one with 'pkg_add -r'. And then you should fix the package database
dependancies with 'pkgdb -F', I think.

Personally, I find it easier to use the portupgrade program, because not
everything is available as a package, and it takes care of the messy detail.

Roland
--
R.F.Smith (http://www.xs4all.nl/~rsmith/) Please send e-mail as plain text.
public key: http://www.xs4all.nl/~rsmith/pubkey.txt