Release vs Stable vs Current

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu
Tue Nov 8 14:58:25 GMT 2005

> Ansar Mohammed wrote:
> > Has the terminology for "production ready" FreeBSD changed?
> >
> > Is FreeBSD Release now considered Stable?
>
> I don't think so, no. "Stable" refers to the branch of development from
> which Production releases are made. Right now that is the FreeBSD 6
> branch. Future point releases of FreeBSD 6 will be made from the Stable
> branch until the time that FreeBSD 6 becomes a legacy release.

Unfortunately, I think the word "stable" is getting used in a different
way in the question and the answer.

Releases are stable in the generic sense of the word - they are
thought to be reliable and fixed in to a particular condition, not
fluctuating with development.

But STABLE as a "version" I think really means a particular snapshot
along the way.    Things are not necessarily frozen in to a version
for that particular snapshot.   It is kind of up to you to make sure
all the ports and such that you need work with it.

It becomes a RELEASE when a particular stable snapshot is fixed as a
release and everything frozen long enough to get it all brought to that
specific working version.

So, in a sense RELEASE is more stable than STABLE.  Or, at least, it
is more complete.

This may be fudging the explanation a little.   Someone else might be
able to correct it or make a better explanation.

////jerry