debug.log questions

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Tue Nov 8 01:52:10 GMT 2005

Sean Murphy wrote:
> Charles Swiger wrote:
[ ... ]
> I just checked two 5.4 servers running sendmail that came with FreeBSD
> they both have the /var/log/debug.log just there is no entires in the
> debug.log on the second server.  However it just mails the FreeBSD daily
> reports to the other server.
>
> Can anyone else check there FreeBSD servers 5.4 running sendmail and
> have this debug.log?
>
> -rw-------   1 root  wheel         0 May  8  2005 debug.log
>
> same date as I made the server
>
> excerpt from the syslog.conf
>
> *.=debug                                        /var/log/debug.log
>
> your right there is an entry for the debug in the syslog.conf
>
> however Im pretty sure this file is default FreeBSD

It turns out that you are right for 5.4, although that change has since been
backed out:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/etc/syslog.conf

...in the most current version, if I'm following the branches correctly.  In
either event, it's fine to discard debug-priority logging, unless actually
debugging something.

--
-Chuck