build ports without X -- make.conf

David Kirchner dpk at dpk.net
Mon Nov 7 18:40:35 GMT 2005

On 11/7/05, Dinesh Nair <dinesh at alphaque.com> wrote:

> On 11/08/05 02:16 Dan Mahoney, System Admin said the following:
> > For some reason this is gone in 5.x -- what's the appropriate way to do
> > this now (since WITHOUT_X11 still worked on a couple ports I've tried.)
>
> am also not sure if this is related, but an install of 6.0-RELEASE followed
> by a cvsup of RELENG_6 yesterday didnt have an /etc/make.conf. is this an
> omission or is this by design ?

That's by design. The install stores a default make.conf file in
/etc/defaults/make.conf . Local changes should go in a new file named
/etc/make.conf . The idea being that if you upgrade later, the upgrade
will modify /etc/defaults/make.conf leaving your local changes intact.
(Of course there's no guarantee that the local changes will still work
after an upgrade, but at least they won't be overwritten.)

There are a number of files in /etc/defaults -- it's worth checking that out.