NFS Installation Issues

Matthew Smith matt at kbc.net.au
Mon Nov 7 01:17:07 GMT 2005

Eric F Crist wrote:
> On Nov 6, 2005, at 5:58 PM, Matthew Smith wrote:
>
>> I've just had a look through /var/log/messages and have spotted some
>> lines that may be relevant:
>>
>> {timestamp} kernel: re0: couldn't map ports/memory
>> {timestamp} kernel: rl0: couldn't map ports/memory
>> {timestamp} kernel: pci0: <network, ethernet> at device 8.0 (no driver
>> attached)
>
> Well, the second line there, referencing rl0 is indeed the Realtek
> driver for the network card.  The error, on the other hand, is
> something I'm not familiar with.
>
> Reading through the archives, I see the following link:
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2004-December/
> 067477.html
<snip>
My card started working when i disabled  ACPI.
</snip>

Hmm - thanks for the suggestion, I should have tried this; every time
I've had ACPI enabled under Linux, it has broken something.  However, I
have just tried booting with ACPI disabled with the FreeBSD boot disk
and the minimal installation that managed to get on my hard disk - the
result is that FreeBSD cannot find any drives!  So, worth a try, but not
the solution.

Furthermore, I have now tried swapping the Realtek card for a D-Link
(DFE530TX) one.  The problem persists...

Just a minor point - is 6 actually a stable version?  I was wondering
whether I've gone and picked up a development version when I should have
been using 5.something.

Cheers

Matthew Smith
Kadina Business Consultancy, South Australia
Work: <http://www.kbc.net.au> Personal: <http://www.mss.cx>