NFS Installation Issues

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Sun Nov 6 23:19:06 GMT 2005

On Mon, Nov 07, 2005 at 06:58:38AM +1030, Matthew Smith wrote:
> >>I assume that there's a kernel module not loaded, so after looking
> >>further through the documentation, I found that I should be able to put
> >>a line in /boot/defaults/loader.conf.  Since the installation so far was
> >>actually bootable (that's one up on Linux!), I did this.  All this did
> >>for me was to generate a warning that the module was already loaded.
> >
> > Then try to use the "something weird" as the ethernet device.
>
> Thanks for that Roland - I've had another look, but the "something
> weird" is PLIP, which I believe to be some parallel port communication
> system.

Yes, that's IP over a parallel port.

> So, my real question remains: how does one get a network card
> recognised?

You don't have to. The GENERIC kernel comes with all network card
drivers built as modules. If FreeBSD has a driver for your network
chip/card, it should show up.

If it doesn't, make sure that it's not disabled in the BIOS and that the
cable is actually connected to the hub/router.

If none of that works, try to give us some details about the
chip/card. Make and model if possible.

I've never done a network install, but look at section 2.2.4 of the
Handbook. It describes what info you need to have on-hand for a network
install. If you don't want to type all these numbers in, configure a
machine on the network that you are connecting to as a DHCP server.

Of course, you must also have an FTP server available if you want to do
an FTP install.

Roland
--
R.F.Smith (http://www.xs4all.nl/~rsmith/) Please send e-mail as plain text.