NFS Installation Issues

Matthew Smith matt at kbc.net.au
Sun Nov 6 09:21:33 GMT 2005

Hi

Having used AIX for about twenty years and Linux for nearly ten, I have
decided to start exploring the possibilities of FreeBSD and have just
downloaded the ISOs for Version 6/i386.

I have attempted to do an install from CD, but am getting failures on
quite a few files - possibly because I only had yucky CDRWs to put my
ISOs on and the CD drive in the machine is quite old.  So, I decided to
copy the CD to a directory on another machine, make an NFS share (which
works - I checked it from yet another machine), and just use the CD to boot.

My problem is that when I select the installation source, Ethernet is
not amongst the options (just SLIP, PPP and something else weird).

I assume that there's a kernel module not loaded, so after looking
further through the documentation, I found that I should be able to put
a line in /boot/defaults/loader.conf.  Since the installation so far was
actually bootable (that's one up on Linux!), I did this.  All this did
for me was to generate a warning that the module was already loaded.

What am I missing?  Nowhere, when booting from the first CD, do I get an
opportunity to tell it about my network device, although it will ask for
all the usual networking details.  I'm sure that there must be something
quite simple, but is not obvious from the documentation.

Cheers

Matthew Smith
Kadina Business Consultancy, South Australia
Work: <http://www.kbc.net.au> Personal: <http://www.mss.cx>