DMA errors

Mike Jeays Mike.Jeays at rogers.com
Sun Nov 6 00:17:34 GMT 2005

On Mon, 2005-10-31 at 08:00, Mike Jeays wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-10-31 at 02:11, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

Thanks for the help - you seem to be correct, Ted.  I bought a second
Western Digital 80GB disk, and 5.4 installs on this with no problem.

The case for the 40 GB Maxtor seems a little odd - it works fine with
Ubuntu, the Redmond product, and Fedora Core 3. I even switched it to
PIO-only mode, and then 5.4 can be installed - but, as expected, it is
very slow - 25 seconds to load KPresenter, for example.  Not too useful.

It also worked with an earlier FreeBSD, version 4.7 and before.  So does
FreeBSD drives disks a bit harder than other OSes, and is it still "in
spec"?