FreeBSD not giving back memory

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu
Fri Nov 4 16:39:33 GMT 2005

> Hi all,
> I use 5.4 Stable on an i386 machine with xorg 6.8.2 and kde 3.4.0. I
> have been doing a number of RAM intensive tasks such as converting video
> files and moving big files (7 or 8 Gb) back and forth over a LAN. I have
> also installed and configured Wine, although I haven't done much with it
> just yet. I have 26 Gb on my FreeBSD partition (excluding swap) that is
> used up at 78%.
> I notice that when quitting all applications, the RAM used is not
> released and 476 Mb of RAM out of 512 Mb available are still indicated
> as being in use. Is FreeBSD not giving back memory when processes are over ?
> Edward

I think maybe you are misunderstanding how memory is apportioned
and reported.   I am not the best one to answer on this, but it
has been a topic in questions a number of times, so some searching
in the archives might be provide an answer.   I wouldn't be surprised
if there is even a FAQ on it.

////jerry