FreeBSD not giving back memory

edward kouye at wanadoo.fr
Fri Nov 4 16:32:56 GMT 2005

Hi all,
I use 5.4 Stable on an i386 machine with xorg 6.8.2 and kde 3.4.0. I
have been doing a number of RAM intensive tasks such as converting video
files and moving big files (7 or 8 Gb) back and forth over a LAN. I have
also installed and configured Wine, although I haven't done much with it
just yet. I have 26 Gb on my FreeBSD partition (excluding swap) that is
used up at 78%.
I notice that when quitting all applications, the RAM used is not
released and 476 Mb of RAM out of 512 Mb available are still indicated
as being in use. Is FreeBSD not giving back memory when processes are over ?
Edward