sk0: watchdog timeout

Vladimir Dvorak dvorakv at vdsoft.org
Fri Nov 4 08:36:12 GMT 2005

Nicolas Blais wrote:

>On November 3, 2005 06:37 pm, martinko wrote:
>

>>Vladimir Dvorak wrote:
>>

>>>Hello,
>>>
>>>I have a problem with network card. From time to time kernel says
>>>
>>>sk0: watchdog timeout
>>>
>>>It has (probably) random behavior.
>>>
>>>I use FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE-p8, motherboard is ASUS A8V Deluxe (AMD64,
>>>Athlon64XP 3200+) and internal network card from pciconf -v -l
>>>
>>>skc0 at pci0:10:0: class=0x020000 card=0x811a1043 chip=0x432011ab rev=0x13
>>>hdr=0x00
>>>    vendor   = 'Marvell Semiconductor (Was: Galileo Technology Ltd)'
>>>    device   = '88E8001 Gigabit 32-bit Ethernet Controller with
>>>Integrated PHY'
>>>    class    = network
>>>    subclass = ethernet
>>>

>>>This machine should be sent to serverhouse and I am not sure, if it is
>>>ready. :-( Can anyone tell me what is the solution ? To buy another
>>>netcard ?
>>>
>>>Thank you,
>>>
>>>Vladimir Dvorak

>>the same chip here and i see the messages from time to time too.
>>not sure what's the problem or if there is any at all.
>>so far card has been working alright, or at least i haven't noticed any
>>issues.
>>
>>m.
>>

>Same here too:
>
>sk0: watchdog timeout
>sk0: watchdog timeout
>sk0: watchdog timeout
>
>with occasional :
>sk0: discard frame w/o leading ethernet header (len 10 pkt len 10)
>sk0: discard frame w/o leading ethernet header (len 11 pkt len 11)
>
>Network is running fine, though sometimes accessing the internet takes 2-3
>seconds (as if the DNS was not responding) but then is fine.

Yes, the same feeling. This error is independend on load. I downloaded
tens of GB and nothing happend, but usually after boot this error
occures ( I do not know if it is really error).
Tonight I tested small pings on this machine from several stations in
network, no "watchdog timeout" message.
Once I mentioned 1-2 seconds networking break, when I 'dmesg'
immediatelly after that, the "watchdog" was there.
Im not sure if I can put it as production server :-(. But  .... I will
try. ;-)

Vladimir