sysinstall install.cfg questions

Antony Mawer fbsd-questions at mawer.org
Thu Nov 3 21:48:56 GMT 2005

On 4/11/2005 6:52 AM, Todd wrote:
> I'm trying to figure out how to use the sysinstall using a install.cfg
> script to install on multiple machines without floppies, and without
> needing any interaction other than putting in the CD.
>
> I can create the script but don't know where to put it on the modified
> installation CD, or how to initiate sysinstall during the boot process
> to use it?
>
> Any help will be greatly appreciated!
>
> Todd

Are you creating your own CDs using a 'make release' (see release(7))
process? If so, I've generally followed an approach similar to the
following:

1. Create your install.cfg file in the /usr/src/release/ directory.
2. Create a patch file that will add your install.cfg to a standard
    /usr/src tree:

      cd /usr/src
      diff -u /dev/null src/release/install.cfg > ~/local.patch

3. Make the release with the appropriate LOCAL_PATCH parameter:

      make release \
        CHROOTDIR=/some/dir \
        BUILDNAME=6.0-MYRELEASE \
        CVSROOT=/usr/home/ncvs \
        RELEASETAG=RELENG_6_0 \
        LOCAL_PATCHES=/path/to/local.path

That would build a 6.0 security branch build with your install.cfg in
/usr/src/release/ of the chroot. The make release process then takes
care of placing the install.cfg in the appropriate location on the CD.

If you're attempting to patch an existing CD image, reading
/usr/src/release/Makefile suggests you'll need to:

     - Extract the contents of the ISO
     - Un-gzip and then mount the decompressed /boot/mfsroot.gz file
     - Place your install.cfg in the root of the mounted mfsroot fs
     - Unmount the mfsroot filesystem
     - Re-gzip the mfsroot file to /boot/mfsroot.gz
     - Run mkisofs to re-create the CD

Hopefully this points you in the right general direction!

Cheers
Antony