54_STABLE kernel doesn't boot for me

Jon Brisbin jon.brisbin at npcinternational.com
Wed Nov 2 09:40:17 PST 2005

I updated my 5.4 stable source tree yesterday and rolled a new kernel
with SMP for my dual Xeon, 2.4GHz PowerEdge. It froze on boot after
saying something to the effect: "AS started on CPU #1..."

It looks like it recognizes 4 processors (HTT) but it won't ever boot
with the SMP kernel. I first thought maybe it was something in ULE, but
I put the 4BSD scheduler back in and that didn't fix it. I can boot on
my stock, non-SMP kernel and I've turned hyperthreading on, so it can
recognize the first one. But the kernel that just has one extra line
(options SMP) in it won't boot.

There's no logging or anything because it hangs before it can write any
of that stuff. I'm not doing anything strange. loader.conf and
sysctl.conf only have settings for my hardware and to tweak the time
slicing.

I'm updating userland stuff now, thinking maybe something in userland
broke the new kernel, but I can't figure out what.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :-)

--

Thanks!

Jon Brisbin
Webmaster