cannot get IP working between associated ath0 & AP, what to do?

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Wed Nov 2 05:22:40 PST 2005

On 2005-11-02 08:41, Stijn Hoop <stijn at win.tue.nl> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 31, 2005 at 08:44:49PM +0200, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> > Make sure you're not running a BSD firewall too, like the one I had a
> > few days ago and kept failing to obtain an address from my wireless AP
> > at home because of the paranoid ruleset I was using :)
>
> First I confirmed that it really wasn't a firewall issue. Then
> of course I found out it was a PEBKAC; I used this command to
> configure ath0:
>
> # ifconfig ath0 ssid FOO wepmode on wepkey 0xBAR
>
> which showed an association but did not allow packets to be
> sent. The correct incantation is
>
> # ifconfig ath0 ssid FOO wepmode on wepkey 0xBAR weptxkey 1
>
> which, I presume, also sets the wepkey to be used for
> transmitting packets after destination. I must say that I don't
> really see the value of specifying the WEP key and then not
> using it, but then again this is not my OS :-)

Ah!  Hehe.  That's a nice catch there.

I didn't hit this because I explicitly specified more than the
absolutely necessary stuff in my /root/netstart.home shell
script, which I use to connect to my home's network.  The
important bit for the wepkey setup is the ifconfig_ath0 line,
which contains:

% # Use a format similar to rc.conf(5) to allow /etc/rc.d/netif to
% # find and use these settings automagically.
% export ifconfig_ath0="DHCP ssid "FOO" \
%     wepmode on weptxkey 1 wepkey '1:0xXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX'"

I'm explicitly specifying that weptxkey is going to be key 1 and
then prepending the number of the key, so this didn't happen here.

Thanks for the followup, since now I know what to look for when
things don't Just Work(TM) in the future :)))