New Logo

Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC chad at shire.net
Tue Nov 1 21:27:34 PST 2005

On Nov 1, 2005, at 8:11 PM, tim cle wrote:

> Hello, when I was first introduced to BSD, the very
> first thing that I noticed was Beastie. It got my
> attention. I pointed to Beastie and asked "Whats
> that?", and after my initial introduction one of the
> things that stayed in my mind was Beastie. So, as
> symbol, it fullfilled all the requirements for a
> successful symbol, namely:
>
> 1: It got my attention.
> 2: It made me want to know more.
> 3: It was memorable.
>
> If the new symbol does not fullfill all of the above
> points, then I suggest that it is not as effective a
> symbol as Beastie.

I for one am not trying to get "rid" of Beastie, but Beastie is not a
good logo.  It may be a good mascot, which would be an effective
symbol as you mentioned in your list.  So Beastie can fulfill that
role very well and be associated with FreeBSD.  A logo has specific
advantages over a generic symbol (or a mascot) though: easy to
reproduce on any medium, simple and memorable, not complex, and as
the main symbol, hopefully not offensive to some groups of people.
Keep Beastie as a good mascot for FreeBSD, but lets not be so
dogmatic that we cannot see the need for a simple logo for the
project that can be used in places Beastie can't.

No one is saying you have to get rid of your Beastie tshirts etc :-)

Hopefully the similarity to the gamedaemons one listed earlier in
this thread is enough to jettison the new "winning" logo though, as
it is not easy to reproduce on any medium, is not memorable or
attention getting, and is all around boring.

best
Chad