FreeBSD 5.x forgetting passwords.

Christian Tischler mail at myunix.net
Tue May 31 23:41:32 PDT 2005

Bill Moran wrote:

>Christian Tischler <mail at myunix.net> wrote:

>>>You may have to give more information.
>>>I have never seen a system "forget" a password unless someone or something
>>>intervened and specifically changed them.    Or, is it possible that you
>>>put an expiration on the passwords?    By default, I believe FreeBSD
>>>sets that at infinite, but you or someone might have changed that while
>>>tinkering around.
>>>
>>>////jerry
>>>

>>thx for the answer.
>>I gave you all the info there is.
>>The system is now running since the release of 5.1 (2 years?) and this
>>"password forgetting thing" startet about one month or so ago. I am
>>quite sure that I did not tinker around with the config.
>>But I will take a look at the expiration time just to check.
>>

>If you're _sure_ that nobody authorized has changed the password, then
>there are two very scare things possible:
>1) Someone has cracked your system and is trying to keep you out by
>   changing your password.
>2) Your disk is failing and has corrupted your password file.
>
>Considering how old 5.1 is, and how many security issues have been
>discovered since 5.1, I would place a high probability on #1.
>
>No guarantees, though.  But I would definately consider and investigate
>those two possibilities if I were you.

1)  that is what I thought first, too. But the root password and the
password for another account never changed.
2) this consideration also came to me. that is the reason why the system
is going to be "upgraded" to raid 5  and a new 5.x.
But as my time is very limited I first tried to fix that problem to keep
the machine up and running until I have more time.
The fact that 5.1 is old does not matter so much in terms of security,
as only ssh and some high ports for a crypted vpn are open to the net,
and the box is behind a firewall/nat/router thing.

thx for your reply

christian