syslogd and pipe to email

Danny Howard dannyman at toldme.com
Tue May 31 15:15:57 PDT 2005

Jim Pazarena wrote:

> I would rather have a script which waits at least 30 seconds
> before terminating rather than after one line, because some
> of the records I am looking for are multi-line, and I'm not
> sure if a script can be made to timeout.

Jim,

Even without setting up some sort of fancy interrupt thing, of course
you can get a script to time out.

In fact, I think you'd WANT the script to time out, even if it was
getting input from syslog, because if syslog were spewing warning
messages, you'd want the script to let go and send its warnings.

Script would look something like:
to=30
while( to > 0 )
    output .= <STDIN>