nameserver changing

Vizion vizion at vizion.occoxmail.com
Tue May 31 22:07:52 GMT 2005

On Tuesday 31 May 2005 14:57,  the author Giorgos Keramidas contributed to the
dialogue on-
 Re: nameserver changing:

>On 2005-05-31 14:33, Vizion <vizion at vizion.occoxmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I want to be able to automatically remove/add one or more dns servers from
>> the list of dns's used as resolvers by particular machine(s) on a network
>> which I control from data stored in a file in each computer.
>> e.g file might contain lines such as:
>> xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx remove  dns xxx.xxx.xxx
>> xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx add        dns xxx.xxx.xxx
>> None of the machines are running their own dns servers.
>> The changes will be initiated by cron.
>>
>> Don't ask me why I need to do it -- the answer is far too complicated :-)
>>
>> Suggestions please
>
>You could use the "template" file as a source and generate a shell
>script that will be scp'ed and executed on each host.  If you have enoug
>time, you could write a Perl script that will read this format:
>
>	10.0.0.0/8	remove		*
>	10.0.0.0/8	add		10.0.0.2
>
>and then create one Perl script for every host.  The script could be
>scp'ed (if you have SSH keys set up correctly) and run remotely, with
>something like:
>
>	# cat scripts/10.0.0.1.sh | ssh -l root 10.0.0.1

thanks - that sounds reasonable --  is freebsd configured to refer  to
etc/hosts to look up the dns server ips on every occasion or do I have to
reload?
David

 Currently in San Diego, CA. Sailing May/June bound for Europe via Panama
Canal.