nameserver changing

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Tue May 31 21:57:11 GMT 2005

On 2005-05-31 14:33, Vizion <vizion at vizion.occoxmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I want to be able to automatically remove/add one or more dns servers from the
> list of dns's used as resolvers by particular machine(s) on a network which I
> control from data stored in a file in each computer.
> e.g file might contain lines such as:
> xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx remove  dns xxx.xxx.xxx
> xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx add        dns xxx.xxx.xxx
> None of the machines are running their own dns servers.
> The changes will be initiated by cron.
>
> Don't ask me why I need to do it -- the answer is far too complicated :-)
>
> Suggestions please

You could use the "template" file as a source and generate a shell
script that will be scp'ed and executed on each host.  If you have enoug
time, you could write a Perl script that will read this format:

	10.0.0.0/8	remove		*
	10.0.0.0/8	add		10.0.0.2

and then create one Perl script for every host.  The script could be
scp'ed (if you have SSH keys set up correctly) and run remotely, with
something like:

	# cat scripts/10.0.0.1.sh | ssh -l root 10.0.0.1