iPod mini + ASUS P3B-F motherboard + FreeBSD 5.4-STABLE

Toomas Aas toomas.aas at raad.tartu.ee
Tue May 31 14:49:25 PDT 2005

Tony Shadwick wrote:

> Be aware that the iPod has some freaky partitioning going on.  Even if
> you format the 'drive' as fat32, there's still a partition there you're
> not seeing.

Yep, I understand that. The 'drive' has already been formatted to fat32.
That happened when I installed the iPod software to a Windows PC and
connected iPod to it.

Meanwhile, back at my FreeBSD machine, I booted up with a Knoppix 3.7 CD
and could mount the iPod successfully as /dev/sda2 and see some
directories on it (/Calendar, /Notes and whatnot). I'm now upgrading my
FreeBSD to today's 5-STABLE, and if that won't help I'll put in an
add-on PCI card with USB2 ports.

Upgrading the BIOS of my ASUS P3B-F motherboard to latest non-beta
version (1006) didn't seem to have any effect on this issue.

> Read over the info at the ipod linux site.  That should clear things up
> for you. :)

I've been reading all those sites for past couple of days. It just seems
that things that work for other people for some reason don't work for me :)

---
... Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.