Cups samba printing very slow!

Vittorio De Martino vdm.fbsd at virgilio.it
Tue May 31 21:46:47 GMT 2005

At last I have been able to set up cups under kde 3.4 to print from my laptop
with freebsd 5.4 to an epson stylus color 640 printer connected to another pc
seen by cups in the laptop both as an ipp printer under freebsd 5.4 (seen
from the laptop as the cups server)  AND - more frequently - as an smb
printer under windows XP.
The network connection from the laptop on which run both samba and cupsd and
the pc is made by means of a wireless 11Mb card and an access point.

While printing to the windows XP pc through samba by means of
lpr -Psmbepson file
is pretty fast and immediate, printing from an application like kword,
konqueror which format the text takes at least 1.5-2 minutes to start,
against few seconds with a direct parallel port connection and  about a
bearable 30-45 secs with an ipp printer connection to the freebsd box.

Are those differences acceptable ot there's something to be improved?
in case of a no, what should I check?

Vittorio