ftp server frustrating

Glenn Dawson glenn at antimatter.net
Tue May 31 20:38:26 GMT 2005

At 12:26 PM 5/31/2005, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
>Vizion <vizion at vizion.occoxmail.com> writes:
>
> > I still cant understand why the cut off is set so short!!

ftp.freebsd.org has two IP's associated with it:

# dig ftp.freebsd.org

; <<>> DiG 9.3.1 <<>> ftp.freebsd.org
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 5, ADDITIONAL: 3

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;ftp.freebsd.org.               IN      A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
ftp.freebsd.org.        18      IN      A       204.152.184.73
ftp.freebsd.org.        18      IN      A       62.243.72.50

The server at 62.243.72.50 has a 15 second timeout (I waited 20 secs to get
the output below)

# ftp 62.243.72.50
Connected to 62.243.72.50.
220-ftp.FreeBSD.org NcFTPd Server (licensed copy) ready.
220-The FreeBSD mirror at TDC, in Aarhus, Denmark, Europe
220-
220-Contact: beastie at tdk.net
220-
220-Use wisely.

--snip--

Name (62.243.72.50:glenn): ftp
421 Disconnecting you since you didn't login successfully within 15 seconds.
ftp: Login failed.
ftp>

However, the server at 204.152.184.73 has a much longer timeout of at least
a minute.

So depending on which address your ftp client is given, you might have 15
seconds, or you might have much longer.

-Glenn