ftp server frustrating

Dan Nelson dnelson at allantgroup.com
Tue May 31 20:00:36 GMT 2005

In the last episode (May 31), Vizion said:
> On Tuesday 31 May 2005 12:26,  the author Lowell Gilbert contributed to the dialogue on-  Re: ftp server frustrating:
> >Vizion <vizion at vizion.occoxmail.com> writes:
> >> I still cant understand why the cut off is set so short!!
> >
> >Well, for one thing, it *isn't* as short as you were claiming; my
> >testing right now indicates that it's (at least) over a minute.
>
> My testing here does conflicts with yours. there seems to be some
> network delays for freebsd.. I do not know when the timing starts --
>
> I get a message from the server that cuts me off when I am tryiong to
> log in saying I did not login within 15 seconds. Here is an example
> output from ftp.freebsd.org when logging in:

ftp.freebsd.org is actually 2 machines; the one at 62.243.72.50
(ftp.beastie.tdk.net) seems to have the 15 second timeout.  The one at
204.152.184.73 (freebsd.isc.org) doesn't.

> I am really asking why does it have to be so short  - what is the
> reason?

Try sending an email to the address listed in the welcome message sent
before you log into ftp.beastie.tdk.net:

220-Contact: beastie <at> tdk.net

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson at allantgroup.com