Weird NFS problems

Skylar Thompson skylar at cs.earlham.edu
Tue May 31 12:58:02 PDT 2005

Jon Dama wrote:

>Yes, but surely you weren't bridging gigabit and 100Mbit before?
>

>Did you try my suggestion about binding the IP address of the NFS server
>to the 100Mbit side?

Yeah. Unfortunately networking on the server fell apart when I did that.
Traffic was still passed and I could get through to the server on the
100Mb/s side, but not on the 1000Mb/s. It looked like the arp tables
weren't being forwarded properly, but I couldn't convince FreeBSD to do
proxy arp.

After doing some more poking around, it actually looks like it might be
a misfeature in the Linux 2.4 kernel wrt ipfilter (which is running on
the bridge). Apparently 2.4 fragments UDP packets in the reverse order
that every other UNIX-like operating system does, which throws off
ipfilter's state tables. I'm going to do some testing to see if the
difference between UDP and TCP NFS is negligible enough for us to disregard.

Thanks for the suggestions!

--
-- Skylar Thompson (skylar at cs.earlham.edu)
-- http://www.cs.earlham.edu/~skylar/